Castle Clinton

Built to defend the harbor during the war of 1812, the fort never had occasion to fire upon an enemy. In 1817, the fort was renamed Castle Clinton in honor of DeWitt Clinton, Mayor and later Governor of New York. The army vacated the fort in 1821 and the structure was deeded to New York City in 1823. In the summer of 1824, a new restaurant and entertainment center opened at the site, then called Castle Garden. A roof was added in the 1840s and Castle Garden served as an opera house and theater until 1854. The "Swedish Nightengale" Jenny Lind made her American debut here in 1850. In 1855, the structure opened as an immigrant landing depot, where for the next 34 years, over 8 million people entered the United States through Castle Garden, until it was closed on April 18, 1890.

Details & Events

Local street map. Click "+" or "-" to zoom in and out. Click on map to drag and position the view.

  • Castle Clinton
  • Southwest Battery
  • New York, NY
  • Directions

Copyright A-ZGuides.com 1998-2017 - Guide to New York Events and Places

Other Guides: The Chicago Guide The Miami Beach Guide The New York Guide The Orlando Guide The Phoenix Guide San Diego Guide The San Francisco Guide The Washington Guide